Sunday, February 7, 2010

Entertainment

I am currently reading, among other things, an essay on Draupadi by Dr. Devdutt Pattanaik and The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. While the first one is about one of my favorite ficitional characters of all time and it's extremely interesting, the second one is a big fat tome that is bound to go the same route as two other works of Brown in the recent past. Yes, I am sure the movie version is not too far off. But can we please have a different Robert Langdon than Tom Hanks? He seems too ill at ease to be Langdon, in my humble opinion.

On other entertainment related news, I have just finished watching two seasons of True Blood, the very graphic, very American tv series based in the fictitious town of Bon Temps where everyone knows everyone, everyone is not what they seem to be, everyone has secrets, and everyone has an opinion regarding vampires, shape-shifters, and other such creatures. Because guess what? All of them live, not peacefully, in Bon Temps. It's a blood-drenched, often gory, often tongue-in-cheek look at human failings more than anything else. And I love it. Can't wait for Season 3.

1 comment:

  1. 'True Blood' seems to be really scary. Unfortunately, in India, we only get to see films like 'Phoonk 2' and television horror shows like 'Aahat', which aren't even remotely scary!
    So, don't you like Dan Brown's works? I mean, I haven't read them but would like to know your opinion. I have also been dying to hear your take on the Twilight Saga by Stephanie Meyer, if you have read it. I have heard from a classmate that they are one of the best she has ever read and are way better than Harry Potter. Now,they can't be 'way better' than HP, but not having read them myself, I thought I would ask you before buying one of them.

    ReplyDelete